Based largely upon the method of JuanHidalgo Miniatures in his 'Eavy Contrast Marines video, but relying less upon actual contrast paints, this is how I painted the freehand on this miniature.
- Basecoat the armour with Khorne Red .
- Recess shade and paint the inside or the armor trim with a 1:1 mix of Khorne Red and Rhinox Hide .
- Paint in the linework with your black of choice. I used Abaddon Black , buy you could use Black Templar . When it came to deciding what to paint, I Googled "colchisian runes" and looked up art from codexs and similar sources. I fleshed out most of the panels with these runes and then joined them up with lines and semi-circles.
- Apply a chunky edge highlight of Khorne Red and Squig Orange mixed 1:1 to the inside of the shapes created by the lines.
- Edge highlight everything again, moving closer to the black, with a fine line of Squig Orange .
- With a 1:1 mix of Squig Orange and Lugganath Orange , selectively highlight corners over the previous highlight.
- Add in final dot highlights of pure Lugganath Orange to the centre of the previous stages highlights.
Aspiring miniature painter and biscuit enthusiast. Here to share my hobby and help where I can.