An airbrush recipe I adapted from one I found on Instagram. Most of the blues I saw looked too dark for how I wanted to represent the Stormlords, and this worked out for me!
- Over a black undercoat, cover the plates with an even coat of Imperial Blue and Macragge Blue in a 4:1 mix. Build up a couple of coats of this to get a nice dark base.
- Into the previous mixture, add 1 part of French Blue . So you should have a 4 1 1 mix going. Here you want to be covering most of the plates, but keep away from the edges.
- Add a further few drops of French Blue into the previous mix. I somewhat use my judgement on this one, but it does need to be noticeably brighter than the edges. Again, concentrate it further towards the centre/top facing of the armour.
- Create a new mix of French Blue and Electric Blue in a simple 1:1 mix. This is a very light tone, so use sparingly on the areas you want to look brightest, but measure it as you will be doing one more highlight, which will be...
- For the final highlight, use the same two colours as the previous step, but bring up the brightness by adding another 1 part of Electric Blue to make it 1 part French Blue, 2 parts Electric Blue.
- Now the main colour is established, I gloss varnish it with Humbrol clear gloss.
- Recess shading is done with a very mix of Black Templar and a lot of Contrast Medium , I'm talking like 1:4. It's always better to use too much medium than not enough.
- Highlights were done with pure Teclis Blue , and pushed on the sharp corners with Lothern Blue