Here is how I painted this Death Guard Sergeant in Mk.III Space Marine armour. This project was just a fun pallete cleanser.
- Basecoat with Wraithbone . I primed with Wraithbone Spray to make this stage faster and then finished off with a coat or two from the pot.
- Dry drush the armour with a pure white, picking out raised details and adding some subtle variation. I used Vallejo Dead White , but use whatever you fancy.
- Wash the armour all over with Skeleton Horde . To stop it staining the armour too much, I thinned it 1:2 with Contrast Medium . I went back with this mix a second time to add more definition around rivets and areas that needed darkening.
- In very deep recesses, I took Agrax Earthshade and Lahmian Medium (mixed in equal parts) and did more recess shading. I used a thin brush and tried to be selective.
- Now add general highlights of Wraithbone and White Scar to areas that need brightening. I glazed this mix towards hard edges and stippled it onto flatter areas.
- Finally, add small, selective highlights of white scar to points and areas that need some extra pop.
Whilst I think this armour looks nice now, I wanted the marine pictured to be a little knocked up. So, I decided to add some optional battle damage.
- Add small patches of Rhinox Hide using dots with a fine brush. Try to stick to edges, corners and areas where damage would occur, mostly towards the front of the Space Marine.
- Underline the damage from the last step with fine lines of our Wraithbone and White Scar mix from earlier.
- For the rust streaks, I took some thinned Gore-grunta Fur and dragged it down in thin lines. Take it easy and don't be afraid to go back for a second layer.
Bronze Armour Trim
- Basecoat with Balthasar Gold .
- Wash the metal with Garaghak's Sewer thinned 1:4 with Contrast Medium .
- Add fin edge highlights with Sycorax Bronze .
- Add very selective highlights with Stormhost Silver on points and within the previous highlights.
- If you wanted to add a little verdigris to the bronze, water down some Sons of Horus Green (lots) and pop it into selected places.
- To make it look extra built up, I like to mix in a little white and add a dot or two.
- Basecoat with Deathworld Forest .
- To shade mix a dark brown like Rhinox Hide into the green and brush into recesses. You can also let some of the Garaghak's Sewer mix from earlier spill into the recess to add extra definition.
- Now add highlights of Death Guard Green . I recommend a mix of spilling and glazes to add texture.
- Dop the same again, but over a smaller area with Nurgling Green .
- Finally, repeat this again with a little Wraithbone mixed into the Nurgling Green and do it in a small, selective patch.
Red Eye Lenses
- Basecoat with Khorne Red .
- Was with Agrax Earthshade .
- Add a highlight of Evil Sunz Scarlet toweards the nose. cover about two-thirds of the inside of the lens and avoid where the Agrax Earthshade settled.
- Repeat, coverring one-third with Wild Rider Red .
- Now add a small dot highlight of Lugganath Orange close to the nose.
- Finally, add a small dot of pure white (like White Scar in the corner furthest from the nose.
Aspiring miniature painter and biscuit enthusiast. Here to share my hobby and help where I can.