I went for something a little different with my second one of these miniatures. I quite like how he turned out.
- Prime with Chaos Black or any other black.
- I then added a zenethal highlight with my airbrush. I started by adding Cold Grey into some black. Then a smaller area with pure :cold grey. Finally, I added some white ink to the mix and highlighted only small, prominent areas.
- I used a drybrush of Dead White to pick out raised details.
- I then washed the skin with some contrast paint. The mix was 1 drop Darkoath Flesh , 2 drops of Basilicanum Grey and 3 drops of Contrast Medium .
- Now selectively highlight edges with a 1:1 mix of Rakarth Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh .
- Add specular highlights of pure Pallid Wych Flesh .
- When I was finishing up the mini, I felt that the skin was looking a little lifeless. To solve this I mixed Druchii Violet with three parts Lahmian Medium and glazed it into deep recesses, folds and near veins.
Fleshy Wing Membranes
- Glaze the wing membranes with Bloodreaver Flesh a few times. Just enough to tint the skin. Pull your brush towards the centre to leave more pigment away from the edges.
- Build up a faux stretched skin texture with increasingly small lines (drawn into the centre) covering less area as you go. I transitioned through Bloodreaver Flesh , Flayed One Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh, mixing as I went, to smooth the transition.
- Now wash the skin with Reikland Fleshshade , pulling it towards the edges.
- Finally, I added selective recess shading with my 1:3 Druchii Violet and Lahmian Medium mix.
- Basecoat with Wild Rider Red .
- Glaze towards the centre with Troll Slayer Orange .
- Glaze a slightly smaller central area with Flash Gitz Yellow .
- Paint/stipple a small circle in the centre with Dorn Yellow .
- Add a small dot of White Scar in the centre.
- Basecoat with Bugman's Glow .
- Wash the tentacles with a mix of Reikland Fleshshade and Carroburg Crimson . I was using the old formulation, so I put a drop of Lahmian Medium in there too.
- I picked out the raised edges with a edge highlight of Bugman's Glow and Kislev Flesh mixed in equal amounts.
- Selectively highlight the most prominent parts of the last stage with pure Kislev Flesh .
- Add specular highlights with Flayed One Flesh .
- Basecoat with Rhinox Hide .
- Start mixing increasing amounts of Rakarth Flesh into your Rhinox Hide and paint a smaller and smaller area each time, dragging your brush towards the tip.
- When you are very close to the tip, mix in some White Scar for the final few highlights and finish with a dot of pure white at the tip.
- Finally, glaze the area with Seraphim Sepia , pulling your brush away from the rightest highlights, always.
Aspiring miniature painter and biscuit enthusiast. Here to share my hobby and help where I can.