An updated, more muted glow effect using the similar red effect used before. I much prefer this look!
- Basecoat with Khorne Red and then a couple of layers of Mephiston Red . Apply the Mephiston Red like a wash, which leaves the darker Khorne in the raised areas (ie: glow is coming from within)
- Apply the Mephiston Red in thin glazes around the edges of the gun case, building up the intensity towards the coils. This takes multiple layers, allowing each previous to dry. The red should be almost transparent (paint your nail)
- Wash Evil Sunz Scarlet into the recesses of the coils, about 3/4 up the coil. Glaze the gun casing towards the coils, ensuring the previous red is left further from the coils.
- Wash Evil Sunz Scarlet and a bit of Fire Dragon Bright into the recesses again, about 1/2 up. Glaze a very small amount very close to the coils on the gun casing, again leaving both previous reds.
- Add more Fire Dragon Bright and wash very close to the bottom only. Keep this thin.
- Draw a line of just Fire Dragon Bright on the part of the coil that meets the case.
- I tidied up with thinned Black Templar , glazing this on where I felt the glow was too much.
- Mix some Black Templar into Khorne Red and paint the top corners of the coils.
- Add a tiny dot of White Scar on the top of each corner, within the previous darker layer.
- Because the reds are all slightly different finishes, I applied Contrast Medium with a tiny dot of Flesh Tearers Red over all of the coils. This provides and even finish.
Collector of Black Legion in 40K; Daughters of Khaine and all things Dark Aelven in AoS.