A general overview for how I paint my Blood Ravens. WIP.
Dark Red Armour
- Base with a 1:1 mix of Khorne Red and Rhinox Hide
- Wash entirely with Nuln Oil
- Glaze back up the transition with Khorne Red
- Edge highlight all the hard edges with Troll Slayer Orange . Glaze in softer highlights to round areas, like the knee pad.
- Point highlight the hardest edges with Fire Dragon Bright
- Base the cream sections with Zandri Dust
- Introduce several very thin layers of Screaming Skull to get an opaque relayer over the base
- Highlight in the same way with Pallid Wych Flesh , just covering less area. A drybrush would be fine at this stage too, I just prefer the pain of glazing!
- Wash around the outer edges with a couple thin layers Seraphim Sepia . If you're comfortable with feathering one unthinned coat would be good, but I've had success with some thinned layers too.
- Base the black sections with Corvus Black
- Highlight with Eshin Grey
- Another smaller highlight with Dawnstone
- For characters and HQs, an extra point highlight of Administratum Grey
- Base the leather sections with Skavenblight Dinge
- Wash back with Nuln Oil
- Relayer back up with Skavenblight Dinge
- Edge highlight and scratch up with Stormvermin Fur
- Final highlight and scratch up with Karak Stone
- Base the silver metals with Iron Hands Steel :
- Wash back with Nuln Oil
- Relayer with Ironbreaker
- Edge highlight with Stormhost Silver
- Carefully base the eye lenses with Warpstone Glow . Bring your brush in from the side of the head rather than face-on for more control.
- Wash the lens with Nuln Oil
- Add a semicircle of Moot Green towards the back of the lens
- Smaller highlight over the last step with Yriel Yellow
- Add a dot of White over the last step, as well as the opposite corner
Optional: Coat the lenses with Ardcoat
- Base gold sections with Retributor Armour
- Wash with Agrax Earthshade
- Relayer with Auric Armour Gold
- Highlight with a 60:40 mix of Liberator Gold and Stormhost Silver . Personally not a fan of going straight to silver for highlights, so cut it with a bright gold.
- Base the parchment with Rakarth Flesh and the wax with Screamer Pink
- Wash both back with Agrax Earthshade
- Relayer the parchment with Rakarth Flesh and the wax with Pink Horror
- Highlight the parchment with Pallid Wych Flesh and the wax with Emperor's Children
- Optional: Scribble in some tiny text to the parchment with Rhinox Hide
Just a note that these are my personal denotations, not official. We never got any outside of cream helmets for Sergeants, so made my own using Ultramarines as a starting point.
- Battle Brother - Dark red helmets, black aquila
- Ancients - Dark red helmets with cream face and stripe, black aquila
- Sergeants - Cream helmets, black aquila
- Veteran Sergeants - Cream helmet with black stripe, black aquila
- Lieutenants - Dark red helmets with cream stripe and black stroke, gold aquila
- Captains - Cream helmets with dark red stripe and black stroke, gold aquila
I'm a casual mini painter who's fallen into the tutorial space. Documenting my progress and recipes as I go!