A step-by-step painting guide to the Inceptors, the fateful Ultramarine successor chapter.
- Prime the miniature with a grey primer base of choice. I used an automotive primer but Grey Seer or Grey will work fine.
- Base coat the entire miniature with Caliban Green
- Apply 2 or 3 thinned layers of Warpstone Glow to bring up the armour brightness, avoiding recesses.
- Add some highlights to the highest points of the armour with a glaze of Moot Green .
- Undercoat the armour joints & metal areas (such as shoulder pad trim, chest aquila and weapon greebles) with a black paint, such as Abaddon Black or Black .
Accents and detail
- Apply two thin coats of a dark silver like Leadbelcher over areas to be silver, such as the aquila, weapon parts and vents on the backpack.
- Apply a coat of Nuln Oil over any silver metal areas. Once dry, use Leadbelcher to restore some of the brightness.
- Apply a bright silver, such as Stormhost Silver , to the upper portions of any silver details, such as weapon casings and the aquila.
- Apply two or three thin coats of a light gold such as Gold over the shoulder pads and any small areas that need it, such as iconography on the weapons and sword hilts.
- Coat the leather areas with either Ratling Grime or Gore-grunta Fur , as desired.
- Paint any purity seals using Screamer Pink for the wax and Rakarth Flesh for the ribbon.
- Coat the recesses of the entire purity seal (wax & ribbon) with Agrax Earthshade . Once dry, edge highlight the wax with Pink Horror and the ribbon with Pallid Wych Flesh .
- Base coat any weapon casings and the eye lenses with Khorne Red .
- Wash the weapon cases with Agrax Earthshade , then when dry, apply thinned Mephiston Red multiple times where light lands.
- Add spot highlights of Wild Rider Red to the corners of the eye lenses.
- Base as required. In the example mini, I used Astrogranite painted with Mechanicus Standard Grey , washed with Nuln Oil then dry brushed with Dawnstone and Administratum Grey .
- Paint the edge of the base to suit, using a paint such as Black or Steel Legion Drab .