My attmept at replicating the Eavy Metal teams paint scheme for these Chaos Space Marines. The armour and trim recipes are based strongly upon a YouTube video from 'Infernal Brush'.
Green Power Armour
- I started by priming with Vallejo Surface Primer Russian Green 4bo . You could use any colour and work your way up, but this is easier.
- Now basecoat the armour with Death Guard Green .
- Thin some Athonian Camoshade with an equal amount of water (or medium) and add some general shading to the recesses.
- Mix Rhinox Hide and Caliban Green 1:1 and shade deeper recesses with fine lines. I keep this mix pretty thin to control it easier.
- Add chunky highlights with Ogryn Camo , with a little Death Guard Green mixed in. Probably around 4:1.
- Add smaller, fine highlights with Krieg Khaki .
- Mix some White Scar (or another pure white) into the Krieg Khaki and selectively highlight corners.
- Finsih the armour with specular highlights of White Scar where needed.
Bronze Armour Trim
- Basecoat with Hashut Copper mixed with just a touch of Doombull Brown , about 9:1 if you wanted a ratio.
- Shade recesses and around recesses with Agrax Earthshade .
- In the very deepest parts, add line shading with a thin 1:1 mix of Khorne Red and Abaddon Black .
- Mix some light gold and silver into the base mix, so the paints are roughly in equal parts. If you wanted to use Citadel paints, I would recommend Liberator Gold and Stormhost Silver . Use this mix to add highlights to edges.
- Increase the amount of Stormhost Silver and add fine highlights.
- With pure Stormhost Silver add selective specular highlights. I prefer Vallejo Model Air Silver RLM01 Metallic .
- To add verdigris to the bronze, mix Sotek Green and Kabalite Green 1:1 and run it into recesses. To enhance the effect, mix in increasing amounts of White Scar and cover a small area.
- Basecoat with Ushabti Bone .
- Wash with Skeleton Horde thinned 1:3 with Contrast Medium . This is to both add a little colour into detail and begin shading around the base of the horns.
- Run a thin line of Agrax Earthshade into deep cracks.
- Glaze XV-88 upwards, coverring roughly two thirds of spikes.
- Repeat the process coverring less area with a glaze of Mournfang Brown . This coulour is so rich, I kept it thin and did two passes in the end.
- Mix the Mournfang Brown with Rhinox Hide and glaze again. At this point you should be coverring less than one thirds of it (roughly).
- Finally, glaze the tip with Rhinox Hide .
- Highlight lighter bone parts with Skeleton Horde and even smaller highlights with Pallid Wych Flesh and White Scar .
- Basecoat with Leadbelcher .
- Wash with Nuln Oil .
- Edge highlight with Ironbreaker .
- Add fine highlights with small amounts of Vallejo Model Air Silver RLM01 Metallic .
To dirty up the metal work I did a mix of things, mostly glazes to tint areas. For this I used Wyldwood for general shading, Aggaros Dunes to add richness, then Cygor Brown and finally Ratling Grime to darken areas. Where I wanted specific patches of gathered rust, I ran in watered down Skrag Brown .
- Basecoat with Abaddon Black .
- Chunky highlights of 1:1 Abaddon Black and Skavenblight Dinge .
- Fine highlights of Skavenblight Dinge .
- Selective highlights of Stormvermin Fur .
- Specularhighlights of Karak Stone .
Black Gun Casing
- Basecoat with Abaddon Black .
- Chunky highlight with Dark Reaper .
- Fine highlights of 1:1 Dark Reaper and Administratum Grey .
- Selective highlights of Administratum Grey .
- Specular highlights of Administratum Grey and White Scar .
Black Rubber Tubing
- Basecoat with Abaddon Black .
- Paint chunky highlights of Incubi Darkness onto raised details.
- Mix the Incubi Darkness 1:1 with Deepkin Flesh and add fine highlights onto edges.
- Add selective hihglights of Deepkin Flesh on courners and points that would catch the light.
- Mix a little Ivory or Pallid Wych Flesh into your Deepkin Flesh and add specular highlights where needed.
- Basecoat with Screamer Pink .
- Wash the tentacle with Druchii Violet . Don't let it pool too much.
- With a 1:1 mix of Screamer Pink and Pink Horror Horror cover most of the flesh with a thick glaze. Pulling paint towards the centre always. Paint everything just outside of recesses where the dried shade has dried.
- Paint a smaller area with pure Pink Horror . Use the same technique as above to ensure a smooth transition. This time go over around two thirds of the area, painting higher to simulate where light would hit and adding the illusion of depth below.
- With a 1:1 mix of Pink Horror and Kislev Flesh flesh paint an even smaller area, pulling even closer to the centre and higher.
- With pure Kislev Flesh paint a very small area. For some tentacles I add this highlight as multiple small lines to add texture.
- Optionally, add dot highlights of Flayed One Flesh to the points of tentacles and the centre of the previous steps highlights.
- Basecoat with a 1:1 mix of Waaagh! Flesh and Moot Green .
- Wash with Biel-Tan Green .
- Add highlights of Moot Green to all edges and raised detail.
- Mix some Vallejo Model Color Ice Yellow into the Moot Green and apply in smaller highlights. Dorn Yellow is a decent GW equivalent.
- Finally, apply specular highlights of pure Ice Yellow where relevant.
- Basecoat with Incubi Darkness .
- Recess shade with a 1:1 mix of Incubi Darkness and Abaddon Black .
- Chunky highlights with 1:1 Incubi Darkness and Screaming Skull .
- Fine highlights with 1:2 Incubi Darkness and Screaming Skull .
- Selective highlights with Screaming Skull .
- Mix in a little White Scar and add a few specular highlights where needed.
- Basecoat with a 1:1 mix of Khorne Red and Doombull Brown .
- Shade with Khorne Red and Abaddon Black mixed. I mixed an equal amount and then increased the black for very deep folds.
- Add Jokaero Orange into the base mix and apply chuinky highlights.
- Highlighting within the last stage, go over the area again with small amounts of pure Jokaero Orange .
- Add some Vallejo Model Colour Ivory (or Screaming Skull ) into the Jokaero Orange and selectively hihglihgt, inclreasing the amount and making the highlights smaller as you go.
- Basecoat with a mix of Khorne Red and Incubi Darkness mixed 1:1. Maybe lean slightly more towards the Incubi Darkness to ensure it reads as purple.
- Add Administratum Grey to the base mix 1:1 and add chunky highlights.
- Increase the amount of Administratum Grey again, so it is now 1:2. Now add fine highlights to everything.
- Selectively highlight curves and corners with pure Administratum Grey .
- Add White Scar into the Administratum Grey 1:1 and add very small/specular highlights to upward facing points.
Aspiring miniature painter and biscuit enthusiast. Here to share my hobby and help where I can.