A slightly darker, deeper red cloth than what I normally use for my Black Legion tabards.
- Model is sprayed Abaddon Black and then I thick edge highlight with Khorne Red . Don't worry too much if the edges are a bit transparent, as it helps fade into the black. Make sure there are defined Khorne Red edges before moving on.
- Mix Abaddon Black and Khorne Red 1:1 and glaze the previous layer in to the black of the recesses.
- Use Mephiston Red now, within the previous layer. I begin to stipple, scratch as I go to add texture, but these are Chaos models, so you could skip this or be more uniform on other models.
- Thin lines of Evil Sunz Scarlet next, repeating the previous process but focus on higher edges.
- To even the whole finish, thin Flesh Tearers Red in 2 parts Contrast Medium and use a large brush to cover the whole area. This really ties the black to the red.
- Reestablish the Mephiston Red and Evil Sunz Scarlet layers. Again, add scratches and stipples where necessary.
- Final edge and dot highlights with an equal mix of Troll Slayer Orange and Evil Sunz Scarlet , though Wild Rider Red would possibly be just as effective. Again, stipple and scratch.
- Go back to the deepest recesses with Nuln Oil or thinned Black Templar . I went around edges of belts etc as well.
- Cover the whole area with just Contrast Medium if the finish is obviously a mix of matte and the satin finish of Contrast paint. You can add a tiny drop of Flesh Tearers Red if you want to build the red up more.
Collector of Black Legion in 40K; Daughters of Khaine and all things Dark Aelven in AoS.