How I painted my Rubric Marines for kill team. I did not take in progress pics, so I shall include what pics I do have of the completed minis throughout the Recipe. I hope it helps/inspires anyone looking to paint Thousand Sons marines.
Priming color should have no appreciable affect on the final color scheme, happened to have been primed on sprue with a brownish grey automotive primer.
Large portions of the model are either of these colors, I used a strong yellow undercoat with a translucent silver and a sepia shade to create the gold effect. Painting all the parts that would remain yellow or gold before applying other colors would allow for the shading via a sepia wash at the same time, without having to worry about accidentally tinting any of the blue in the final color scheme
This step is rather difficult as it relies on precisely applying the paint on panels that are next to parts of the model that are more or less how we want them to be. The base coat particularly needs great care as the high opacity paint will be very difficult to either remove cleanly (by quickly rubbing it off with ones' finger or dabbing at the area with moist paper towel). The layer paint should be easier to deal with, but patience and good brush control practice pays great dividends here.
The armor panels are not washed in this paint scheme, I wanted a very saturated blue for the armor. On the sharper curves one the armor, such as the toe of the boot, the edge highlight was feathered out to create a gradient, otherwise it is in fact relatively flat. However, I don't think this is a problem
I struggled with this portion. The method listed here is for completeness and as an example. I used an entirely too dark shade wash, and tried a variety of shades of off white to highlight up with. Listed will be what I remember working the "best" but I encourage you to try a different recipe for white cloth than what I used.
For the metallic items on the miniature that I wanted to contrast with the gold I used a silvery/steely color. Mostly for the barrels of guns. The result was meant to be a very "cold" metallic effect, the contrast with the warmer yellows and the very saturated blues.
There are are few elements on the miniature that are not of a material previously painted. For example the harness going over the chest plate, and the armor joints. A base of black and a highlight of grey doesn't attract the eyes and is a quickly done.
At this stage there may be some paint where it shouldn't be, so I usually go back and tidy up anything that is glaringly obvious. For the most part this is using one or more layers of paint previously used to cover an errant line or brush stroke. This is usually too subtle for me personally to bother re tinting with a wash or shade. However, in the case of the gold metallics in this paint scheme, there is no obvious "last layer" shade. However, Sycorax Bronze is a near enough to be subtle cover over mistakes.
There are a couple of elements of the miniature that are not detailed here, particularly the eyes/visor, gems, which were painted with color shift paint, and were done in a color I would not advise others use as it does not contrast enough here. The casing on some of the guns also was experimented with, but i would not suggest repeating my process with it, however for the curious and for the sake of completeness those steps will be included here.