A reminder to myself of how I paint the gold on my Salamanders.
The oil paints used are Winsor & Newton Winton Oils, because that's what I have! The oil wash is comprised of about five times as much white spirit as paint
Update: A simpler version is included in my Salamanders tutorial here: https://paintpad.app/recipes/2325-salamanders-v0-9
- Basecoat with a 1:1 mixture of Retributor Armour and Hull Red
- Add a highlight with Retributor Armour
- Oil wash with a mixture of one part Alizarin Crimson to one part Burnt Sienna with a tiny spot of Prussian Blue mixed in
- After about ten minutes, use a cotton bud, small piece of kitchen roll or similar to wipe some of the paint away from the raised areas.
- Leave the paint to dry; as it's really thin it will probably dry in a couple of hours, but I usually leave it overnight to be on the safe side.
- Add a highlight with a 2:1 mixture of Retributor Armour and Dark Aluminum
- Add a highlight with a 1:1 mixture of Liberator Gold and Dark Aluminum
- Add some small spot highlights with Dark Aluminum