A quick rundown of how I painted a Tiamet Gant for a video
- Start with a white primer, I used Corax White
- Cover the whole skin with a 50:50 mix of Coelia Greenshade Lahmian Medium - Greenshade can be quite potent, so cutting it back with Medium gives us just the colour we want
- Pass over all of the skin with thinned Ulthuan Grey , relayering the skin but leaving some of that green in the recesses
- Highlight with pure white, I use White
- Carefully pass over all the splits in the skin and joints with Incubi Darkness . If you overspill, cut back over with Ulthuan Grey and white as necessary. Might get quite messy, but stick with it!
- Wash all those areas with Nuln Oil
- Relayer any ridges in those splits with Kabalite Green and a thin brush
- Add a dot highlights of Sybarite Green for some sheen
- Carefully layer the whole eye with Evil Sunz Scarlet
- Add a dot of Wild Rider Red
- Relayer the whole weapon with Naggaroth Night , being careful about overspill (Painting with the gun off the mini is -very- advised
- Wash all the purple with Nuln Oil
- Relayer with Xereus Purple , leaving some of the darkened Naggaroth in the recesses.
- Edge highlight with Genestealer Purple
Note: For characters, you might want to add a dot highlight of Dechala Lilac on the sharp corners, just for extra punch
- Block in all of the carapace with black, I used Matt Black
- Glaze toward the back of each place with Incubi Darkness . If you're not confident with glazing, you can either drybrush or relayer entirely with Incubi if you'd prefer, the idea is to get a hint of colour under the patterns
- Carefully draw on striation lines with Kabalite Green . I pick a spot and draw the lines toward myself when doing this, evenly spacing where I can but not worrying if they're not - It's meant to be biological, and biology is rarely perfect!
- Add a second line highlight with Sybarite Green on the striations
Note: For characters and monsters, a point highlight of Gauss Blaster Green right at the edge of the plate where the striations meet will add a bit more punch
Hooves and Claws
- Base the hooves and claws with black, I used Matt Black (No picture as I did this with the carapace!)
- Glaze Skavenblight Dinge onto these areas, leaving some black towards where they meet the skin. Again, drybrushing or relayering is fine, just be sure to leave some black to separate things!
- Highlight with Stormvermin Fur . For the claws, I edge the front and back and draw a line running up the center of the claw, and for the hooves I do the same striation pattern as the carapace
Note: For characters a last dot highlight of Administratum Grey will finish these areas off nicely
- Coat all the teeth with Rakarth Flesh
- Wash back with Agrax Earthshade
- A quick highlight/relayer with Pallid Wych Flesh , leaving some of that washed Rakarth Flesh near the gum line
I'm a casual mini painter who's fallen into the tutorial space. Documenting my progress and recipes as I go!