My first attempt at the power sword glow effect, usually done using blue.
- Paint the sword as normal. I use the usual Leadbelcher , Nuln Oil / Nuln Oil Gloss , Stormhost Silver method, with some Agrax Earthshade in certain spots - this is a 10k year old Chaos "been in the warp" weapon after all!
- Get all the paints on the palette if using a wet palette. I used Mephiston Red Evil Sunz Scarlet Troll Slayer Orange Fire Dragon Bright Yriel Yellow Flash Gitz Yellow and White Scar . I also put some Leadbelcher on the palette for covering mistakes!
- Work through the layers. Use two or three coats of Mephiston Red , working from and over the node outwards. Try to paint thin lines, thinking how lightning migh move. I also glazed this red around the node and down.
- Follow and paint inside the previous step with Evil Sunz Scarlet
- Same, now with Troll Slayer Orange . Keep the paint very thin, and stop going quite as far along, running the paint into recesses and building the colour where the lines meet and intersect.
- Same again with Fire Dragon Bright , but even less so than before.
- Sparingly, use Yriel Yellow then a tiny amount of Flash Gitz Yellow only on the hottest or most intersected parts such as around the node.
- Add a couple of spots of White Scar on the edge and tip of the node.
- I went over the whole blade then with a very dilute mix of Flesh Tearers Red into Contrast Medium (about 1:5). This evens the finish of the blade.
- Add more Flesh Tearers Red to the previous mix, and glaze around the node to intensify the red.
- Final step, I mixed Ardcoat and Contrast Medium to add a slightly more glossy finish. It's far less stark than gloss, because of the medium, but brightened everything back up.
Collector of Black Legion in 40K; Daughters of Khaine and all things Dark Aelven in AoS.